NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence it is used in from the book.
Examples of clues:
* "You're a very ASTUTE woman, Lily, but like most of us, you have your blind spots." (syn.) ANSWER:
* She was amiable but ALOOF to the friendly Creightons, except for an occasional gesture of fondness for Jenny... (ant.) ANSWER:
* INVARIABLY they waved a hand in greeting and stood watching for a long time after Jethro passed... (ant.) ANSWER:
* "That's your FORTE, you know; get in on any killing you can drum up, so long as your own hide is safe." (syn.) ANSWER:
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the ACROSS FIVE APRILS edition of Bookmarks Plus. See list below.
Also, these 25 words are contained in my ACROSS FIVE APRILS Prereading Crossword, which includes 50 challenging words students will run across in the book. See list below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
More fun and unique products over ACROSS FIVE APRILS—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View all 16 in my store.
• Bookmarks Plus: ACROSS FIVE APRILS edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 252 questions!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Across Five Aprils edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Across Five Aprils synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the Across Five Aprils 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: Figurative Language Crossword—Fun Learning! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to teach figurative language!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 2 Civil War Trivia Crosswords—Great Competition! Clues focus on events, names, and places associated with the Civil War! Students won’t know all the answers, but as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 5 Novel-Based Word Searches 5 categories: The South; The North; Newton; Battles of the Civil War; Life at the Creightons’
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 8 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! War; Some States in the Story; Minor Characters; Rivers; The Illinois Countryside; Good Eats at the Creightons’!; Famous Figures; Creatures. Who doesn’t love a code?
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 4 Fractured Maxim Puzzles--Fun! Students rearrange “tiles” to form wise sayings that relate to the themes of ACROSS FIVE APRILS. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 4 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Trial and Error Workout! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 8 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Book! Categories: Putting the Blame Where It Belongs; Pool Ol’ Abe; History in the Making; An Evening to Remember; Jeth’s “Childish Fury”; Like Mother-in-Law, Like Daughter-in-Law; Good Job, Jeth!;
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: Translating Dialect Crossword—Interesting! Students provide “translations” of dialect used in the story.
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: Famous Figures of the Civil War Era Crossword Students supply names of famous military figures, politicians, etc.
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas! Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!