This lesson is designed to build on knowledge that students should already have about verbs. The lesson can be taught by you or a substitute in one to two class periods but I planned it to be taught as five mini-lessons, one for every day of the week. This allows students to absorb the concept and use it in several ways over a longer time period. In this way, the knowledge should stay with them. I intended these activities to be used first thing in class every day as a bell-ringer activity.
I think having all the little pieces in place such as knowing what is the difference between action and linking verbs and when to use each is essential to strong, unambiguous writing. So, no matter what the age of your students, they can benefit from this lesson.
This lesson contains:
• All teacher instructions
• Handout and worksheet on “Using Action Verbs” with KEY
• Handout and worksheet titled “Using Linking Verbs” with KEY
• Worksheet titled “Definitions and Uses of Verbs” with KEY
• Study worksheet on “Recognizing and Using the Different Forms of Verbs” with KEY
• “Quiz over Action and Linking Verbs” with KEY
This lesson is also in a Bundle. Find it in my store under Trimester One.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.1, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1,
Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.