Want a fun way to get your students involved in a Statistics Unit? Use this two day lab to get your students physically active while developing their skills at Data Taking, Data Calculation, and Data Representation!
• Jump Rope
• Two basketballs/play ground balls
• Up to 10 stopwatches (enough for 1 per group or 1 per station)
Day One – Data Collection: Students travel around in groups of 3-4 to complete 10 stations.
“Single Player” Stations:
• Jump Rope
• Running in place
• Jumping Jacks
“Double Player” Stations:
• Right-Handed High Fives
• Left-Handed High Fives
• Bouncing a ball back and forth
• Alternating Alphabet
*Different amounts of data taken at each station so that students must fully comprehend how to calculate the multiple data points!
*Different data collection techniques used (timing a certain time or timing a certain event)!
Day Two – Data Calculation and Representation: Students calculate data from each station and represent as a histogram and box-and-whisker plot.
Data Calculations Include:
• First Quartile
• Third Quartile
• Standard Deviation (if desired)
• Students complete the culmination questions at the end of the Data Calculations Sheet