Activities for diversity in the classroom
Wondering how to promote diversity equity and inclusion in the classroom? Sum of our Parts is the perfect diversity activity for elementary students. Explore identity, celebrate diversity, teach for social justice and help your upper elementary Second Grade, Third Grade, or Fourth Grade students take social action!
Developed as part of the Teachers Pay Teachers Teach for Justice Grant, this unit is full of diversity lesson plans for elementary students that will help you guide your class through the four Learning for Justice (formerly Teaching Tolerance) social justice standards of IDENTITY, DIVERSITY, JUSTICE and ACTION. Using the collection of poems “The Best Part of Me: Children Talk About Their Bodies in Pictures and Words” by Wendy Ewald as a mentor text, along with other suggested read alouds, your 2nd graders, 3rd graders, or 4th graders will engage in activities to promote cultural diversity in the classroom.
Diversity activities for the classroom include:
- Step-by-step, detailed teacher instructions and diversity lesson plans for elementary students (objectives, materials lists, suggested daily procedures, guiding questions to explore, content connections)
- An extensive list of suggested read-alouds, mentor texts, and resources
- EDITABLE class book templates (cover, Table of Contents, About the Authors page)
- Sample "Closer Look at Hair" chart and letter to a representative
- Printable and digitally EDITABLE:
- "Best Part of Me" poetry planning and publishing sheets (NINE options)
- Library inventory (four pages)
- Persuasive letter planning sheets
- Letter publishing paper
I hope you enjoy this resource! Make sure to follow my store for more products and updates. Don't forget to rate this product to earn your TPT credits!
Want another fun way to promote positive identity development? Check out my collection of eight classroom posters featuring inspirational quotes.
Follow me on Instagram @KnowsyRosyResources. I can't wait to connect with you!