The following activity is great for students, as it provides them with the opportunity to collaboratively re-enforce the information learned in "Simplifying Rational Expressions."
* Students work in groups of 3 to 4 and select team positions.
* Students work independently and then collaboratively on simplifying rational numbers.
* The team recorder records the team results on the sheet provided in the lab.
* The team speakers share the team results with the class.
* The class seeks common threads from the team presentations to develop a final method for the class.
* Students reconvene, this time to apply their devised method for simplifying rational numbers to simplifying rational expressions.
* Each team simplifies a different rational expression (provided in the lab), and the solutions are presented using details from the method devised by the class.
* A power point slide is provided in the lab for each team presentation on simplifying rational expressions.
* Students conclude with a reflective writing.
* Instructors can assess the students by observation, individual and group write-ups, and from their presentations.
* Please enjoy!
LOVE TO TEACH!!!