I am extremely happy to offer the following math lab on The Distance Formula!
* Students are instructed to use their imagination and chart the path of a tornado that picks up a house in the New Orleans area and puts it down in the southern Florida area.
* The longitude and latitude coordinates of the tornado's path are provided on a table
* A tracking map is provided for students to transfer the data from the table to the map.
* Students calculate the distance between the starting point and the ending point of the tornado's travels in degrees.
* Students change the distance from degrees to kilometers.
* Students answer five analysis questions related to the distance and the use of the distance formula in the lab.
* This activity is aligned with the CC Standards
* Students totally enjoy working this lab either independently or with a partner.
* The lab can be followed up with a homework assignment where students locate an additional tornado or hurricane and submit their calculated distances and other interesting findings.
* Please enjoy!
LOVE TO TEACH!!!