In this activity pack, students create a dichotomous key for monsters, candy, and a topic of your choice. The steps are broken down and include visual models you can use as examples. However, for students who are more familiar with this process, I have also included blank visuals so that they can create their own keys. There is an instruction set for monsters, for candy, and for any "item" of your choosing.
This pack is designed for you to pick and choose which visuals and set of instructions you would like to use. It should not be given to students whole, as some pages may be used as answer keys OR modeled examples. I have tried to give you as many options as possible with this pack!
This PDF includes:
- Step One: Label the monsters.
- Step Two: Divide the labeled monsters...
- Step Two: Divide the unlabeled monsters...
- Step Two Example: Does it have arms?
- Steps Three through Five
- Started Flow Chart for Monsters
- Completed Monster Flow Chart
- Full Instruction Sheet and Completed Monster Key
- Blank Dichotomous Key For Monsters
- Full Instruction Sheet for Candy
- Blank Flow Chart
- Blank Key For Candy
- Instruction Sheet For _______________
- Blank Key For _____________
- Blank Key "My Dichotomous Key"
This can be a very difficult topic to teach, so I hope this helps! My 6th grade students did very well with this after working through the monsters example together.
Document Copyright 2014 Nicole Fuhrman via Eva M Designs