For ALL subject areas!
The Common Core Standards require students to understand the function of language---in everything they read. This activity will help your students understand the function of a word, deepen understanding, and aid students in breaking down complex sentences. Students will also see how words are related to each other by grammatical function and how a suffix can change the part of speech. Students will also explore how sometimes changing the part of speech changes the meaning of the word in the case of multiple meaning words.
This activity includes:
1. A rationale for use
2. Common Core Standards used
3. Lesson procedures for two types of sorts (Parts of Speech Sort and Noun Sort)
4. Activity pages for student use
5. Parts of Speech Cheat Sheet for student use throughout the school year!
Common Core Standards:
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
10. Read and comprehend complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently.
Knowledge of Language
3. Apply knowledge of language to understand how language functions in different contexts, to make effective choices for meaning or style, and to comprehend more fully when reading or listening.
Vocabulary acquisition and Use
4. Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases by using context clues, analyzing meaningful word parts, and consulting general and specialized reference materials, as appropriate.
5. Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
6. Acquire and use accurately a range of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases sufficient for reading, writing, speaking, and listening at the college and career readiness level; demonstrate independence in gathering vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.