This trilogy of books by Andrea Beaty focuses on characters that are pursuing their STEM dreams. The books are called Ada Twist, Scientist, Iggy Peck, Architect and Rosie Revere, Engineer. These books help motivate children to be curious about their surrounding and to have the courage to invent things on their own! Each character experiences set backs, while puzzling through their individual creation processes, however; each character also uses a growth mindset to overcome challenges.
This creative writing activity includes two pages of ELA writing prompts and activities that address key points from these three books.
The writing prompts include:
1.What is your opinion? All of the characters featured in these 3 books are in the same class and their teacher is Miss Lila Greer. What do you think about her?Would you like to be a student in Miss Lila Greer's classroom? Why or why not?
2. Compare and Contrast being an engineer and being an architect? How are these jobs similar and different? How does each character prepare to invent? How does each character react to setbacks?
3. Cause and Effect: Identify a cause and effect relationship that all three characters share. Then, explain how each situation is similar and describe their reactions.
4. Identify character traits for each character and draw their pictures. Then, identify ways that you share this character trait with the character of your choice.
5. Create names for yourself based on the formula that the author, Andrea Beaty, has used to create her characters. For example: Bailey Meacher, Teacher is an example I have written on the answer key. I changed my last name to rhyme with teacher, then the prompt asks the student to explain the steps to reach his/her goal or describe why he/she wants to accomplish this goal.
6. Ada Twist, Iggy Peck and Rosie Revere inspire their classmates to participate in STEM activities. Which character inspires you the most? What do you like about this character?
Want more Ada Twist, Iggy Peck and Rosie Revere resources?
Ada Twist, Scientist Creative Writing Activities
Iggy Peck, Architect Creative Writing Activities
Rosie Revere Engineer Growth Mindset Book Study & Activity Packet