Adam Smith vs Karl Marx Primary Source Activity
teaches students about the two competing economic theories that rocked the mid 19th century, laissez-faire capitalism and communism. This activity begins with Smith’s discussion of the effect of the individual on the economy and its advancement, as well as the role of government and monopolies in the free market system. Marx responds with the history of the Bourgeois and Proletarians and his criticism of capitalism, as well as Marx’s opinion on the role of government. Excerpts come from Smith’s, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations(1776)
and Marx’s The Communist Manifesto, 1848.
This can be used in class or as homework as it’s a completely stand alone assignment.
Get this resource along with the entire unit, including PowerPoints, warmups, worksheets, a video guide, review Kahoot!, crossword review, assessment and lesson plans by snagging Industrial Revolution Complete Unit Bundled!
• Industrial Revolution PowerPoint with Video Clips and Presenter Notes
• Inventions of the Industrial Revolution Timeline Analysis
• Mankind Story of Us Episode 10, “Revolutions” Video Guide (Video Link Included)
• Industrial Revolution Crossword Puzzle Review
• Industrial Revolution Complete Unit Bundled
More great stuff on the way! Click Follow Me
to be the first to discover new products from Lesson Plan Ninja.
Also, follow me on Pinterest here!
The Industrial Revolution