This resource is an informational text with italicized vocabulary (and synonyms or definitions given) that discusses desert conditions and the specialized adaptations of plant and animals that enable organisms to survive in that harsh environment. Several animals are specifically mentioned and their adaptations are explained: Arctic hare, Fennec fox, Camel, and the Kangaroo rat. The informational text is 2 full pages, copied to be one double sided sheet. Follow up sheets include comprehension questions, vocabulary crossword puzzle and main idea cryptogram puzzle and answer keys. This 2 day plan would also make a great sub plan [just make copies, leave directions and computer access if you would like the sub to show hyperinks].
Day 1: Pass out Informational text. Have students read aloud, independently and silently or teacher read aloud (depending on students' ability). Note: reading aloud takes approx. 5 minutes.
When each animal is mentioned, use the following hyperlinks and video clips to enhance the informational text.
Hand out and assign comprehension questions (copied 2 sided) Pass in completed worksheet for credit, or teacher circulate to check and give credit. Show answer key on over head or document camera projector for students to correct.
Part 1: Hand out the crossword puzzle: Vocabulary Adaptations to Desert Habitats and have students work independently using the Informational text to solve it.
Again, students pass in completed worksheet for credit, or teacher circulate to check and give credit. Show answer key on over head or document camera projector for students to correct.
Part 2: Handout the cryptogram and have students start in class if time allows and complete for homework.Check for credit and show answer key.
Thank you for your purchase! By purchasing this resource, you are agreeing that the contents are the property of DebCouture/Life in the Middle, and licensed to you only for classroom/personal use as a single user. I retain the copyright, and reserve all rights to this product.
• Use items (free and purchased) for your own classroom students, or your own personal use.
• Reference this product in blog posts, at seminars, professional development workshops, or other such venues PROVIDED there is both credit given to myself as the author and a link back to my TPT store is included in your post/presentation.
• Distribute and make copies of free items only to other teachers PROVIDED there is credit given to Deb Couture and a link back to my TPT store.
You May Not:
• Claim this work as your own, alter the files in any way, or remove/attempt to remove the copyright/watermarks.
• Sell the files or combine them into another unit for sale/free.
• Post this document for sale/free elsewhere on the internet. (This includes Google Doc links on blogs.)
• Obtain this product through any of the channels listed above. Thank you for abiding by universally accepted codes of professional ethics while using this product.
Thanks for checking out our store!
I'd appreciate feedback and a review & get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Go to your My Purchases page (& login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower.