Put your students to work solving the Candy Shop's Adding and Subtracting fractions with Unlike Denominators word problems! My real-world task use themes that you can use year-round, no matter the season or holiday around the corner! Perfect for small groups, scoot, whole group lessons, and centers or station activities!
I have found that many students struggle with applying the computations they know when faced with word problems. I created these Word Problems to challenge students to apply their knowledge of adding and subtracting fractions. This file also includes 24 task cards for representing adding and subtracting fractions with models based on the 24 word problems. Directions to help show students how to model addition and subtraction of fractions problems are provided.
This set contains:
-24 adding and subtracting fractions (unlike denoms) task cards
-24 adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators representational model problems
-answer key and student recording sheet
(Total of 48 task cards!)
Common Core Alignment:
Grade 5: NF: Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add and subtract fractions.
5.NF.A.1 Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators (including mixed numbers) by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions in such a way as to produce an equivalent sum or difference of fractions with like denominators.
5.NF.A.2 Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions referring to the same whole, including cases of unlike denominators, e.g., by using visual fraction models or equations to represent the problem.
Want more 4th/5th Grade Fraction Task Cards? You can now get all of my fractions task cards in my Fractions Task Card Bundle at 20% off! Check out each task card set by clicking below:
1) Multiply and Divide Fractions Task Cards: Cupcake Shop Theme
2) Multiply and Divide Fractions Task Cards: House Plans Theme (using area)
3) Add and Subtract Fractions with Unlike Denominators: Candy Shop Theme
4) Subtracting Fractions with Regrouping/Borrowing (Three Levels of Difficulty)
5) Comparing and Ordering Fractions (Teach 4 Different Methods)
6) Multiplying Fractions by Fractions and by Whole Numbers (includes visual modeling)
7) Summer Slide: 4th Grade Review/Beginning of Year 5th Graders Summer Themed Word Problems
Read More about My Reflections and Resources at the Tarheelstate Teacher Blog
Instagram is My Jam! Follow me!
Pin With Me on Pinterest!
Find me on Facebook!