Included in your purchase are
1. A guided review of how to solve these problems.
2. A guided review with blanks for students to fill in notes.
3. 4 basic practice problems.
4. 4 practice problems that combine the concept with other fractions concepts
(parts of sets, and adding mixed numbers).
5. An answer key for each problem.
6. A link to a video whiteboard slideshow that takes your students through the notes page and introduces the problem solving method.
I like to use these in small group lessons, but they are also good to use in whole group, or for a volunteer or teaching assistant.
The problems include the following common core standards for 4th grade:
CCSS.Math.Content.4.NF.B.3a Understand addition and subtraction of fractions as joining and separating parts referring to the same whole.
CCSS.Math.Content.4.NF.B.3c Add and subtract mixed numbers with like denominators, e.g., by replacing each mixed number with an equivalent fraction, and/or by using properties of operations and the relationship between addition and subtraction.
CCSS.Math.Content.4.NF.B.3d Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions referring to the same whole and having like denominators, e.g., by using visual fraction models and equations to represent the problem.
If your students need a review of finding parts of a set, head over to Keri Sankey’s Tpt page for this guided practice: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Guided-Activity-
If your students need a review of adding mixed numbers or converting to improper fractions try this activity: