Word Sort "I'm Out" game: Supports students learning the Words Their Way Word Study.
Intellectual Property of "Words Their Way" Word Study Program by Bear, Invernizzi, Templeton and Johnson. Published by Pearson Learning Group.
This game is well suited for the Suffixes and Affixes learner
Sorts (CVC, double c +ed), CVCe, drop e+ed, CVCy (change y to i, +ed), (CVVC or CVCC +ed)
Sorts (CVC, double c +ing), CVCe, drop e+ing, (CVVC or CVCC +ing) Directions for Play:
Players 2-4 (three is optimal)
1. Deal 8 cards to each player and create a draw deck.
2. Player with the birthday coming up soonest begins, play will then continue clockwise
3. Player 1 puts down a card announcing the pattern "drive CVC silent e, drop the e, add ed"
4. Players continue to play the same pattern OR, can play a Wildcard, OR can play a SWITCH card to change the pattern.
5. If a player does not have the pattern, or a wildcard or switch card, they must draw from the deck.
6. If they pick up a card that can be played, they do so. If not, play continues to the next person
7. If the draw deck runs out, that player is just skipped until they have a card that can be played
8. The winner is the player that runs out of cards first.
Directions for Creating Card Decks
The cards are 3â€ x 5â€ and words are printed high so that children can read them when they are held in their hand.
I suggest you print pages 1 to 13 on card stock. Then following the directions for your individual printer, print page 14 on the back. If you want to save colored ink, print on colored stock to differentiate decks.
Laminating the completed cards will make them more durable.