PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Ideas for Use:
1) Show students the large jars and model how to use the Add All Strategy and/or the Counting On Strategy. The slides may be projected for everyone to see or printed and held for everyone to see.
Can be used as a Whole Group Mini-Lesson and then used in a Math Center.
2) The Cards with Expressions would be used for students to practice adding. Provide a bowl of real Candy Corn and have students use the candy corn as a manipulative. They would count out the candy corn needed to represent the expression.
3) The cards could also be used to play WAR with. Students would find the sum of their card and determine whose card had the expression that was the greatest or the least.
Candy Corn Jar Cards
4) This cards could also be use to play WAR with. Students would be comparing their number to another number to see which one was the greatest or the least.
5) My students enjoy holding one card each while walking around and combining their number with the number another student is holding. They could be practicing the Add All or Count On Strategy.
This is great way for them to understand the Commutative Property as well. Students could take their two numbers to a bowl of candy corn and add the numbers one way and then use the related fact to show that the sum doesn’t change with the addends are moved. When done they move on to another student and start the process all over again.
6) The cards could also be used to subtract with. Students could still walk around and use their card with a new card but they must understand that the larger number will go first in the expression.
7) Empty Candy Jar Mats for students to place candy corn on and then make their equation with a sum.
The contents of this purchased product allows each teacher the opportunity to differentiate for students as needed. The cards provided will fit the standards for Kindergarten and First Grade Math. Second Grade Teachers could use this tool to reteach addition strategies as well.
23 Full Page Slides
52 Cards with Expressions
54 Candy Corn Jar Card
5 Empty Candy Jar Mats