- Patience, also known as Solitaire, is a card game which dates back to mid Nineteenth Century Europe. The card game has been very popular over the last century & a half. Now, with the advent of computers, Patience has made a huge resurgence.
- For students to individually practice number combinations to 13.
What You Need
1 deck of Pyramid 13 playing cards
Shuffle the deck well. Lay out the cards face up in the shape of a pyramid by placing one card at the top, then two cards touching the bottom of the first, then three cards touching the bottom of the second row. Repeat this process until there are 6 cards on the bottom row. The remaining cards are placed in a deck at the base of the pyramid.
How to Play
1. The aim of the game is to create pairs of cards which total 13.
NB Only cards that are completely uncovered can be selected.
2. Choose two uncovered cards which total 13 and remove them from the pyramid. Each pair is worth 1 000 points.
3. If no pairs can be made then a card is turned over from the deck.
4. If no pairs are still on offer then another card is turned over from the deck.
5. The process is repeated until combinations to 13 are made.
The Player Wins
When the whole deck of cards have been made into pairs.
The Deck Wins
When no more pairs can be made from the pyramid and there are no cards left in the deck.
Tips and Tricks
- When introducing this game have the students play it in pairs so they help each other recognize combinations.
- Discuss with the students strategies involved in working out the answers to these algorithms…
12 + 1, 11 + 2, 10 + 3, 9 + 4, 8 + 5, 7 + 6 and the inverse.
Possible Extension Activity
- Students graph their point scores. Is there a common point score in this game. What result is most likely? Which result is most probable?
Included in this Printable Download:
1 Set of Game Rules
The Teaching Tips outlined above
Deck 1 - Numbers 1 - 20
Deck 2 - Numbers as Words 1 - 20
Deck 3 - Ten Frames 1 - 20
Deck 4 - Tallies 1 - 20
Deck 5 - Subified Numbers 1 - 20
CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)
PS PS A HUGE thanks goes out to the very talented cartoonist Ron Leishman for the pirates appearing in this game.