Included in this product are 26 addition number puzzles from zero to twenty-five. Each number puzzle has five addition facts that attach to the number. In some cases, the commutative property is presented. For example, for the number 4, one fact is 1 + 3 while another fact is 3 + 1 (order doesn't matter- the sum is still the same). The additive identity is also presented. For example, for the number 6, one fact is 6 + 0 (the sum of a number and zero is always the other number). This is a great activity for students to discover mathematical properties for themselves!
These puzzles are meant to help students:
- practice addition fluency
- practice addition strategies (ex: doubles, counting on)
- discover mathematical properties (ex: commutative, additive identity)
- understand the concept of decomposing numbers (one number could be broken into a sum of two other numbers)
- understand the fact that there are many ways to write a single number
These puzzles are ideal for math centers! Three puzzles fit on an 8.5" by 11" piece of paper. Printing the pages on card stock and then laminating is highly recommended as it will increase the durability and the longevity of the product. The puzzle pieces may be stored in a Ziploc bag, envelope, or plastic container.
These puzzles are printer friendly! To brighten up the cards and make them more "fun," just print the puzzles on colored card stock!