Counting on is a mental math addition strategy. The count on strategy requires the child to put the largest numeral from the equation in their head and then count on 1, 2, or 3 to the numeral.
This count on packet is sequenced so that children are introduced to adding 1 to a numeral first. Initially only numbers 1 - 10 are used. Turn-arounds (the commutative property) are also addressed. Once counting on 1 has been introduced, use the game and activities provided to reinforce the strategy before moving onto counting on 2. Once again there is a game and matching activities to use to reinforce the strategy. This is followed by counting on 3, initially just using sums 1 - 10 but finally to 20.
Included in the pack:
poster introducing the strategy
32 pages of sequenced worksheets that introduce and consolidate the strategy.
4 board games
- Math Monkey ( 2 - 4 players) consolidates counting on 1 using sums to 10
- Chasey ( 2 - 4 players) consolidates counting on 1 and 2 using sums to 10
- Buddy ( 2 - 4 players) consolidates counting on 1, 2 and 3 using sums to 10
- The Early Bird ( 2 - 4 players) consolidates counting on 1, 2 or 3 using sums to 20
2 bingo games (2 - 6 players)
- game 1 consolidates counting on 1, 2 or 3 using sums to 10
- game 2 consolidates counting on 1, 2 or 3 using sums to 20
jigsaw matching activity
train and carriages matching activity
Don't forget to download the preview - the first 3 maths worksheets are included for you to use with your class.
This pack is also available as just worksheets Addition Strategy -counting on worksheets
or just games Addition Strategy -counting on games
You might also like
Doubles Addition Facts - worksheets, posters and games
Addition Strategy Games
Addition Facts - Games and Posters
Become a follower and receive notification of new products...all new products will be 50% off for the first 24 hours after listing the product.
Clip art on thumbnail byArt by Leah Rae