Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Have students practice their facts using these cards which visually guide them into using mental strategies. Laminate the cards so students can use them with dry erase pens. You will never have to photocopy another drill sheet. Show students how to check their work using the number family posters included and you will never have to mark again either! These cards allow students to work at their own pace and provide hours of meaningful and engaging practice. My students are always proud to take ownership of their own learning. By having them practice a variety of different strategies students will be able to determine which ones work best for their brains.
1. Finding 2 Fives with the Rekenrek (Addition)
2. Moving to Make a 10 (Addition)
3. Near Doubles (Addition)
4. In-Betweeners (Addition)
5. Using the 10 buddy (Subtraction)
6. Counting up using a 10 Anchor (Subtraction)
7. Equal Difference (Subtraction)
8. Addition & Subtraction Relationship (Addition & Subtraction)
9. Count on and Backwards (Addition & Subtraction)
10. Decomposing with the 10 Frame (Addition & Subtraction)
11. Number Bonds for Missing Addends (Addition & Subtraction)
Altogether there are 744 cards. Print double sided to save paper and prep time. I print each type of strategy on different coloured paper so they can be easily identified by students and organized.
Bonus supporting item included:
- so students can mark their own work (hint: laminate and attach magnets so you can put them on a white board and take down during assessment time)
Cards can be used as whole class practice in place of drill sheets or used as a Math center. I usually have students all work with the cards at the same time however each student will work on the strategy that is needed for the individual learner's current level of understanding. Students usually take 3-4 double sided cards at a time, mark their work, erase then return them to the table for more. This allows me freedom to work with a small group or check in with individual students to assess their understanding and competency of the strategy they are working on.