Adapted addition book
Addition velcro book
Directions on how to put together:
Velcro, hard and soft
Printer and computer
1. Print out the book and the pages with the counters onto cardstock.
2. Cut out the counters.
3. Laminate the whole book and all the pieces.
4. Bind the book together
5. Cut out the now laminated counters. Make sure to leave a small rim of laminate around the counter so the laminate does not peel off.
6. Put hard Velcro on the back of all the counters.
7. Put soft Velcro on all the boxes in the book.
8. Put the correct amount of pieces of soft Velcro on the pages with the word problem on it.
a. For example: There are 5 fireflies flying at night. 4 more join them. How many fireflies are there all together?
b. You would put 9 pieces of soft Velcro on the picture of the night sky.
9. Take the counters and put them in the boxes on their corresponding page.
a. For example: The firefly pieces go on page 11 in the boxes.
10. Get your students ready to work
How to use:
The assembled book with counters inside
White board marker
￼1. Have students read the problem
a. Example: There are 5 fireflies flying at night. 4 more join them. How many fireflies are
there all together?
2. Have students then take the first amount that is being added, (first addend) and Velcro them to the picture.
a. Example: Velcro 5 fireflies to the sky
3. Have students take the 2nd amount that is being added, (second addend) and Velcro them to the picture.
a. Example: Velcro 4 fireflies to the sky
4. Have students count up the counters all together and find the sum.
5. Write the sum with a white board marker on the line after the number sentence or equation.