Teaching my kindergarteners how to add and subtract is my absolute favorite! They are always itching to do more after they learn. That's why I created these hands-on Addition and Subtraction Counting Mat Activities
. I hope that you and your students enjoy them!!
*Make sure you click the green PREVIEW button above for a visual look at what's included
- 4 Addition Counting Mats in color and black and white
- 4 Subtraction Counting Mats in color and black and white
- Instruction pages for all activities
How They Work:
Depending on the counting mat, students will either use dice or cards to determine the number of objects they're adding or subtracting.
Next, they use math manipulative to represent the addition or subtraction problem.
Finally (again depending on the activity), students will write either the answer or
the entire number sentence.
Students can work up to writing the whole number sentence
- Practice orally saying the number sentence with "Counting Cupcakes" and "Who Ate All the Candy?"
- Practice writing just the sum or difference with "How Many Popsicles?" and "Subtracting Sprinkles."
- Write the Whole Number Sentence with "Donut Delivery", "The Best Cookie", "Donut Eat Them All", "What's Left, Peppermint?"
You May Also Like:
Addition and Subtraction Celebration Book
Math and Literacy Center Slides Bundle (Editable and with Automatic Timers)
For a closer look at my resources and tips for helping students become more independent learners, follow me on Instagram