When beginning a subtraction unit, I like to tie addition and subtraction fact families (related facts) together. I love these winter subtraction introduction activities for so many reasons:
1. These are no-prep (or little prep) activities to help you get out the door at the end of the school day! Who doesn't like that?
2. I don't have to change my centers out as often since they are seasonal.
3. They are leveled for differentiating or can be used as a scaffolding technique to support your learners.
4. The posters are an excellent reference for my students.
5. The snowmen cards just need laminated to add to your centers.
* I put a dry erase marker and eraser in the basket with the cards and it is now ready to go!
* I also cut the cards apart and put them on a metal binder ring. It is great because I can put the cards in order from easiest to hardest for scaffolding, or I can separate the cards and give them out to multiple students.
*These activities can be used with partners, as individuals or whole class instruction.