Common Core Aligned!!!!
1.OA.B.3 and 1.OA.B.4: Understand and apply properties of operations and the relationship between addition and subtraction
2.OA.B.2: Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies.
By the end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers
As your students work through these 6 fun activities, they will develop strategies that will help them add and subtract more fluently. This pack meets Common Core State Standards for both first and second grade students. All of these activities can be incorporated into an interactive math notebook and used as student-created anchor charts and reference tools. The papers are formatted to a size that fits in a standard spiral notebook. The 6 activities included are:
1. Foldable tabs for 8 important vocabulary terms: doubles facts, near doubles facts, flip flop facts, tens friends, fact family, addends, sum, difference
2. Fact Family Fill-In-The-Blanks Anchor Chart
3. “Fact Family Operations” hands-on activity (Use play doctor’s kits from the Dollar Store and have students “operate” on fact family numbers by rearranging them into addition and subtraction equations!)
4. Fact Family Dice Activity (Students roll dice to create fact families.)
5. Math Facts Sort (Students will solve math facts and them cut and paste them into 4 categories: doubles, near doubles, flip flops, tens friends.)
6. Parts-and-Whole/Fact Family Triangle Model (This visual combines 2 popular graphic organizers to help students see the relationship between addition and subtraction.)
Light Up the Classroom