These story mats are a great hands-on way for students to build number sense and solve addition and subtraction problems. There are 12 different story mats – log cabin, castle, house, school, fire station, bridge, park, pool, restaurant, store, igloo, and barn. The story mats are in color or black and white. Simply print and laminate. The BW version students can color.
To use the story mats, you will need counters (cubes, teddy bear counters, teddy grahams (or any other snack food), etc. I’ve even spray painted lima beans with glow in the dark paint and used these with the lights off!
* Students show the requested number of counters on the mat.
* Teacher tells a short word problem for addition or subtraction and students demonstrate it on the mat with their counters. Some sample word problems are included here for each mat.
* The teacher can extend the word problem by turning it into a story so that students experience a multi-step problem.
* Students create their own word problem stories for the class or a partner to act out on their story mats. This can be done orally or in written form. Differentiated writing printables are included.
* Use as a partner game.
* Use as a math center.
* Use a BW story mat as a formative assessment. The teacher tells a word problem and students draw it on the mat. Then the teacher can collect it.
The possibilities are endless!
You may also want to take a look at Deluxe Math Spinner Set
. Looking to make some fun and hands-on math centers or games? Need to differentiate? These math spinners will help. There are 120 spinners in PNG files - 60 with white backgrounds and 60 with clear backgrounds. You simply need to print, laminate and use a paper clip and pencil to make the spinner.
You can earn credits for your purchases on TPT!
To earn credits: After you make a purchase, rate and comment fairly on the product page of your purchased item. You need to do both to earn your credits. But you don't have to rate and comment right away. You can do so after you've had a chance to use the product. Just return to the product page when you're logged in to TpT.
For every dollar you spend on TpT, you'll earn 1 credit—and they'll round up for you, too! If you provide fair feedback on a $4.75 item, you will earn 5 credits. Every 20 credits you earn equals $1 to apply toward future TpT purchases.
To redeem credits: Once you've earned at least 20 credits, you'll see the option to apply credits at checkout.
P.S. If you would like to show your support or learn more about my products, please click on the Follow Me link by the green star towards the top.