Your students will enjoy this lesson whether they are in a traditional classroom or in the lab. When I teach addition and subtraction story problems I think it is best to teach the students using visual and auditory methods. This lesson incorporates visual tracks, traditional vertical problem solving, as well as embedded voki’s that will allow students to hear the story problem. I chose voki characters that will help motivate students to complete one problem in hopes there is another surprise voki on the following page.
Students can complete each story problem in pairs at a computer, in a lab situation, or print out each of the problems to use as worksheets. Once the students complete each worksheet, you can bring them to the board/promethean board and bring each problem alive!
This file comes complete with:
• 5 voki’s
• 5 printable worksheets
• Interactive manipulatives
• Traditional vertical problem solving
• New “V” addition and subtraction problem solving tracks
• “Invisible”/ hidden answer boxes so students can check their work and operation as soon as they are done with the problem.
• I also included a pdf just in case you do not have Active studio.
There is no doubt that you will find each activity useful when teaching your first-3 grade students addition and subtraction story problems. As a technology integration teacher, this is the skill that most of my teachers ask the most help with! This will be a crowd pleaser!