This easy to follow 3-part math lesson has everything you need to comprehensively teach students how to subtract 4-digit numbers. Help your students develop a deep conceptual understanding of subtraction by using hands-on problem solving, questioning, and purposeful talk.
Follow this detailed lesson from beginning to end and top to bottom!
This lesson includes:
- A quick minds-on activity
- An engaging word problem or task designed for purposeful lesson debrief
- Sample student solutions
- Detailed teacher notes and directions
- Student friendly learning goals and success criteria
- An independent practice problem for student extra practice
- Easy to print copies of student handouts (PDF)
- A fully editable Word version of all problems
*****This lesson is part of our complete unit on addition and subtraction (which includes several 3-part lesson plans, unit review, test, and test rubric) - check it out!*****
Teaching with Jen and Dawn lesson and unit plans meet the Ontario curriculum expectations.