PROJECT LENGTH: 1 day (with 1-1.5 hour long class periods)
DESCRIPTION: This lesson teaches students how to use the Content-Aware Fill function using the Lasso Tool. This Powerpoint includes a Warm-Up and Exit Ticket as well as 10 step-by-step instructions that guide students through the exercise of selecting the lighthouse with the Lasso Tool and then using the Content-Aware Fill to remove the selection. Each instructional step includes written directions as well as a pictures to help guide visual learners. I print these steps as handouts and distribute them to my students so that they can follow along when I demonstrate the lesson and then work at their own pace during independent work time. After editing the first image, students are prompted to complete a second, third and fourth exercise with additional images (also provided), using the same steps from the first exercise, but adapting them to accommodate the new image. This activates students' prior knowledge and teaches them problem-solving skills.
*Students should know how to use the Clone Stamp, Spot Healing and/or Healing Brush Tools before completing this lesson.
1. Powerpoint which includes step by step exercise instructions, teacher exemplars, definition of the Lasso Tool and Content-Aware Fill function, a prompt for three more exercises using the Lasso Tool and Content-Aware Fill function, and additional tips for tool and function use.
2. Four original image files.
3. Four edited image files (teacher exemplars).
- Adobe Photoshop*
*This lesson was created using Adobe Photoshop CC, but can be easily adapted for other versions of Adobe Photoshop.
- Students will be formatively assessed on their knowledge of using the Lasso Tool to apply the Content-Aware Fill function by editing 4 images.
- Warm Up and Exit Ticket questions.