i_e as in pike
o_e as in hope
Advanced phonics suitable for progression from the Expected sets at the Foundation Stage and for Year 1.
The Story Wizard phonics scheme aims to get children writing stories as quickly as possible by helping them understand and enjoy the relationships between spoken sounds and written symbols (magic spells!).
Each time a new phoneme is introduced it is placed in the context of words alongside phonemes that have been previously taught to help children quickly make sense of the relationship between letters and words.
Features of Story Wizard Phonics:
- children are introduced to words and blending from the very beginning
- phonemes are introduced progressively and placed into words alongside previously learned phonemes to support ongoing consolidation
- the meaning and usage of new words is taught throughout
- active learning games to help children understand the relationship between sounds, letters, words and sentences
- visual guides for mouth positions
- pronunciation guidance on flash cards
- writing activities are available in cursive and lowercase print (both are included)
Included activities with this set:
- sound charts with initial mouth positions
- flashcards with guidance for sounds
- definitions for every word
- Split Digraph Wizard
- Word Line games: Select a letter and then have a go at organising yourselves into a ‘word line’
- Word Maker: Develop fine motor skills and handwriting by cutting out phonemes and sticking them into place. Then having a go at writing words yourself