Advance Rule / Smart Choice Practice Breakdown
• Individual students who receive practice cards or consistently break class rules / procedures
• Students who have difficulty with following directions
• A highly structured complex routine that will give students additional, very specific practice, in following rules and in making smart choices.
• A time for students to spend reflecting about the difference between smart and foolish choices.
• During recess and/or lunch
• In the classroom or wherever the supervising teacher / staff member will be located during recess or lunch
• To provide a method of practice that will allow students to self- monitor and self-regulate behavior that may interfere with the full mastery of content information being presented by a speaker.
• To give students and opportunity to be completely inside a structure that, for at least five minutes, rescinds their impulsive behavior.
• To utilize student responses as a prompt for additional discussion.
• To promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Provide a copy of version 1 or version 2 of the Advanced Rule / Smart Choice Practice Sheet for each student in need of practice.
• Have each student complete the worksheet, get it signed by their parent/guardian, and return the worksheet the next day.
• If the worksheet isn’t signed and returned, the student continues to practice (unless the teacher decides that the parents/guardians can’t be relied on to sign the worksheet or that the student can’t be relied on to give the parent/guardian the worksheet.)
- Use other methods such as (Class Dojo, Phone Call, Text Message, Email, etc.) to inform parents/guardians about the worksheet being sent home.