This material is designed to be a step-by-step way of teaching or reviewing adverb clauses.
The materials include
1. A tip sheet (study guide)
*defines adverb clauses
*list of the functions of adverb clauses along with examples
*list of subordinating conjunctions
2. Graphic of adverb clauses modifying verbs. Includes a sentence broken down to show how adverb clauses are formed and how they function when modifying a verb.
3. Sentence completion and sentence creation activity.
4. Graphic of adverb clauses modifying adjectives and adverbs along with sentence completion and sentence creation activity.
5. Practice sentences using a Smart Chart or thinking chart that breaks down the thinking process necessary for identifying and understanding adverb clauses and their functions.
6. Answer Key for Smart Chart.
7. A blank Smart Chart for reproducing (great for using with practice exercises in workbooks, textbooks, or teacher-created ones).
8. Analyzing writing for adverb clauses using an excerpt from The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (with answer key). Activity suggestion is for students to search for adverb clauses in their favorite literature.
9. Writing connection: writing poetry using adverb clauses. I have included a sample of a poem written using primarily adverb clauses.
Adverb Clauses for Middle School Students
by Dianne Watson
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License