Are you looking for a simple black history lesson which would include 50 African Americans into one lesson? This activity is a perfect way to introduce the accomplishments of 50 African Americans into one fun activity. Students will research a notable African American and create a trading card with their information. Afterwards, you can enrich their experience with games/ extension activities to be used immediately after making the trading cards, or throughout the year.
This unit includes:
* 2 Page Lesson Overview with Common Core Standards Outlined
* List of 50 Notable African Americans- Just slice up and pass out
* Reflections sheet with Questions about the inclusion of different races in text books.
* Research notes graphic oganizer
* Template for front and back of trading card
*Rubric for grading the trading card
* Handout with 7 extension activities to play with the trading cards and supporting worksheets
-Memory Match (Compare to make a match)
- Quiz Time ( Guess who is on the trading card)
- Rewrite your Textbook ( Write an expository paragraph)
- Speech Time ( Write/ deliver a speech)
- You be the Librarian ( Find additional resources)
- Research Time ( Look up additional facts on a person)
- Fact Checker ( Fact check the trading card)
*List of Website Resources
This lesson is structured in a way that it can be used as a MLK day activity, a Black History Month mini unit, or as a multicultural lesson in literacy, writing or social studies any time of the year. Your students will enjoy the interesting research, artistic aspect of designing the cards and the fun extension activities.