The following worksheet is a common core-based lesson on the end of imperialism in Africa after World War II. The lesson focuses mainly on two case studies (Ghana and Kenya) as examples of methods Africans tried to free themselves from colonialism. This worksheet contains a variety of student-centered activities that are designed to promote critical thinking and class discussion such as:
• Do now cartoon analysis reviewing the reasons and process of African imperialism.
• Small group activity – analyzing challenges of Africa under colonial rule and potential methods of gaining independence.
• Song analysis – War by Bob Marley (lyrics and song not included but available online for free) – includes questions
• Case studies – Ghana and Kenya – includes primary and secondary source readings and many critical thinking questions perfect for class discussion.
• Discussion of potential African problems after colonialism
NEW! Answer key included!
NEW! Improved formatting!
NEW! See-Think-Wonder Activity!
This worksheet can be easily modified to fit a shorter or longer class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. Please follow me to receive notifications of newly posted products. Finally, please take a moment to rate this worksheet. Thanks!
I also offer a lesson on the rise of imperialism in Africa...
Imperialism in Africa worksheet - Global/World History Common Core
...and a bundle with both the rise and fall of imperialism in Africa...
Rise and Fall of Imperialism in Africa worksheet combo - Global/World History