Also available as part of Duffy's Black Death Package:
This final PowerPoint in this Black Death series examines the long term impacts of the Black Death on society including the loss of clergy (and change in attitudes regarding religion) and the end of feudalism.
This is also a good pair with a lesson Feudalism: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Feudalism-Pyramid-Manorialism-Middle-Ages-PowerPoint-Posters-and-Worksheet-834762
While I generally deliver this as a whole class discussion, the PowerPoint and accompanying worksheet are designed for independent/flipped learning: for advanced students I often give them the PowerPoint and allow them to work through the worksheet at their own pace. Given they usually finish early, I’ve also included links to extra activities.
Throughout the PowerPoint I’ve also included links to Youtube clips which I would screen for my students.
The PowerPoint and Worksheet (PDF & DOCX) cover:
* The consequences of depopulation
* Plague pits and abandoned towns and villages
* Impact on Art and Literature, leading to the Renaissance
* The loss of clergy and changes in religious attitudes
* The end of feudalism including peasant revolts
* Losses in other continents
* Extension Tasks
* 2 Page accompanying worksheet
Duffy’s Black Death Australian Curriculum Depth Study Unit
Part 1: Ring-a-Ring-a-Roses and Evaluating Sources: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Interpreting-Nursery-Rhymes-Black-Death-Intro-and-Evaluating-Sources-ACARA-1453630
Part 2: What is the Black Death?https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/What-is-the-Black-Death-Depth-Study-Introduction-ACARA-1456263
Part 3: Causes and Spread of the Black Death. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Causes-and-Spread-of-the-Black-Death-PowerPointWorksheet-ACARA-1473676
Part 4: Symptoms of the Black Death
Part 5: Consequences of the Black Death.
Australian Curriculum Links:
DEPTH STUDY 3: EXPANDING CONTACTS
The Black Death in Asia, Europe and Africa (14th century plague)
CONSEQUENCES of the BLACK DEATH
• The effects of the Black Death on Asian, European and African populations, and conflicting theories about the impact of the plague (ACDSEH071)
• Other immediate and long-term effects of the Black Death, including labour shortages, peasant uprisings, the weakening of feudal structures, and increased social mobility (ACDSEH072)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.