This mini unit of poetry analysis close reading task cards and other materials helps you teach students to analyze the poem, “Afternoon On a Hill” by Edna St. Vincent Millay. This poem is on the the CCSS-ELA text exemplar list for Grades 2-3. The set gives you 18 task cards and all of the student and teacher materials to teach second and third graders to analyze poetry.
Let's face it . . . analyzing poetry is not easy, even for adults! The good news is, I've done the hard work for you and this task card set set lets you teach students to analyze (and enjoy!) the poem, "Afternoon On a Hill” by Edna St. Vincent Millay.
DISTANCE LEARNING NOTE: While this is not a Google Classroom product, you have permission to use this product as a digital product with your students PROVIDED YOU USE THE MATERIALS BEHIND A SECURED OR PASSWORD PROTECTED SITE and materials are NOT posted directly to the Internet for others to view. - HR Updated 4/27/2020 during Covid 19 home learning time.
Suggested uses: You can use all 18 lessons (almost a month worth) or pick and choose the ones that reach your standards. You can use this as a literature center activity, independent packet, or use it in your guided reading instruction groups to teach close reading.
• Making predictions
• Practicing oral poem reading
• Determining meaning of phrases
• Looking at the poem's setting
• Looking at rhyming words
• Looking at rhythm and flow
• Determining point of view
• Drawing the setting
• Determining the speaker
• Making Inferences
• Looking for sensory words
• Looking at imagery and visualizing
• Determining the central message
• Determining mood or tone
• Connecting with the poem
• Giving opinions
• Quoting from the text as evidence
Your purchase includes the password to my poetry analysis web link collection for these poems. I’ve found online sources for you for each poem to build background knowledge, learn about the poet's life, watch videos, listen to audio links, read the poem online, and more.
The set includes 76 pages of PDF materials:
• 18 poetry task cards (color and BW)
• Student recording worksheets for the 18 task card lessons (BW)
• Student packet journal covers (color and BW)
• All answer keys in detailed language to help you teach students
• “Afternoon On a Hill” poem teacher summary and poetry analysis summary
• Website Links on www.mrsrenz.com to help you prepare and teach this poem
• Meet the Author Edna St. Vincent Millay Brief Biography - get to know the author (color)
• Student copy of the poem (color and BW)
• Rhyme Scheme of "Afternoon On a Hill” poster (color)
• Imagery in the Poem poster
• Teacher overview of the lessons
• What is Poetry? (color poster)
• How to Read a Poem (color poster)
• CCSS ELA Reading Literature Standards for your teacher binder
Enjoy teaching poetry!
You Might Like these EDITABLE Personal Spelling Dictionaries!
- Primary Grades Spelling Dictionary
- Intermediate Grades Spelling Dictionary
- BUNDLE Grades 1 - 5 Spelling Dictionaries
MORE POETRY RESOURCES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
POETRY ANALYSIS TASK CARDS MINI-UNITS Grades 2-3
POETRY ANALYSIS TASK CARDS & MINI-UNITS Grades 4-5