If you’re looking for a way to engage your middle or high school students in a reading assignment, look no further! This isn't your run-of-the-mill novel unit. Ten Little Indians, by Agatha Christie, is a play adaptation of her novel And Then There Were None. In this unit, students will participate in PI training as they try to answer, “Whodunit?”
In order to pass the PI training the students will
• Identify the crime, the case clues, suspects, and possible motives
• Recreate and analyze the crime scene
• Predict potential future crimes by the culprit
• Identify and analyze possible red herrings
• Analyze the crimes for patterns used by the culprit
• Synthesize their information to eliminate suspects and solve the case
This unit begins with an introductory PowerPoint focusing both on the characteristics of the mystery and drama as well as the characters in the play.
Next students do their trial case, using the stage directions to create the “crime scene,” reading the case notes (the play) for clues, and solving the mystery.
Finally, students are ready to do some real detective work, and if you and your teachers are willing, they can go out into the school, interview suspects and witnesses, and solve a Halloween burglary.
And don’t forget your trench coat and magnifying glass, because you get to play too!
Materials Included for this Unit
• Ten Little Indians PowerPoint with teacher lecture notes
• The following Microsoft Word documents to accompany the PowerPoint and the play:
o Introductory Case Assignment
o Case Assignment 1
o Case Assignment 1 Rubric
o Case Assignment 2
o Case Assignment 3
o Case Assignment 4
o Ten Little Indians nursery rhyme
• Ten Little Indians Microsoft Word quiz
• Detective badge printable png image
• Notepad printable stationary (Microsoft Word)
• An adapted game where students interview teachers in the building to solve a mystery
• Suggested online resources for technology integration
Please do not hesitate to ask any questions about this unit. It is by far one of my favorites, and I am excited to share it with you!
Note for Use:
You may use these items for personal use only. This includes any revisions you make to this activity. You may not resale worksheets, your revisions, or the clip art used in this activity.