Download the preview for more details and guidance.
The Story Wizard Phonics Scheme for Ages 4–6 introduces children to the phonemes and spelling conventions they are expected to learn in Year 1. Activities include resources for introducing individual words and for placing them into sentences alongside previously taught words.
This set includes the resources required to deliver two weeks of advanced phonics to assist with the transition into Year 2:
Set 64 words that begin with kn/gn
Set 65 words that begin with wr
Set 66 words that end with ge (as in cage)
Set 67 words that end with dge (as in edge)
Set 68 words with ge/gi/gy/j
Set 69 words that end with le
Set 70 words that end with el
Set 71 words that end with al
Set 72 words that end with il
Note that Units can also be ordered individually and by section (use the links above).
A free planning guide
is available with examples of how Story Wizard Phonics resources can be organised across the school year.
The Story Wizard phonics scheme aims to get children writing stories as quickly as possible by helping them understand and enjoy the relationships between spoken sounds and written symbols (magic spells!).
Each time a new phoneme is introduced it is placed in the context of words alongside phonemes that have been previously taught to help children quickly make sense of the relationship between letters and words.
Each unit includes:
- sound charts
with initial mouth positions
with guidance for sounds
for every word
- Wave Your Wand
activities: Make a ‘word wand’ and then wave your wand in shapes that become ‘magic spells’
- Sentence Line games:
Select a word and then have a go at organising yourselves into a ‘sentence line’
- Sentence Maker:
Develop fine motor skills and handwriting by cutting out words and sticking them into place. Then having a go at writing sentences yourself.
Features of Story Wizard Phonics:
- children are introduced to words and blending from the very beginning
- phonemes are introduced progressively and placed into words alongside previously learned phonemes to support ongoing consolidation
- the meaning and usage of new words is taught throughout
- active learning games to help children understand the relationship between sounds, letters, words and sentences
- visual guides for mouth positions
- pronunciation guidance on flash cards
- writing activities are available in cursive and lowercase print (both are included)
Other Story Wizard Phonics resources are available here.