This handout accompanies the Age, Gender, Race, Stature Lab, an all hands-on lab based on a true story about an uncovered mass grave that will show your students how to determine the age, gender, race, and stature for a set of bones. At the end of the lab is a list of individuals that each set of bones could belong to, and students are asked to decide whose bones are whose.
Using the diagram handout students will learn how to find the age of an individual through skull sutures. The diagrams also include information on age using epiphyseal fusion,and the lab could easily be adjusted to question students on this, if you have skeletons demonstrating different stages of fusion.
Gender is discovered through the pelvis and skull, race is determined through the skull, and stature is determined through the length of long bones.
No answer key is included, as answers will vary based on the bones you use.
• Copies of Age, Gender, Race Lab **SOLD SEPARATELY** (1 per student, or pair)
• Copies of Age, Sex, Race Stature handout, or other handout with diagrams and charts showing how to get measurements (Class set)
• Calipers (1 per student, or pair)
• 5 skulls, (10 recommended for double stations) various genders, and races. 2 (or 4 if you are setting up double stations) demonstrating different ages
• 5 pelves (10 recommended for double stations), various age, genders, and races
• 6 miscellaneous long bones