This is a great introduction
to a unit on the Age of Exploration
This PDF includes 3 class activities
, one allowing students to research 4 major events significant in the bringing about of the Age of Exploration (Crusades, Monarchs, Muslim Advances, Marco Polo
), another one mapping the Europeans at the beginning of the era, and a Sunken Ship Activity
in which students "dive" for information cards on the motives, tools, changes, and advances that allow European Exploration.
Includes directions for students to organize information in notes. Some standard lecture notes are also provided, and entire activity could be used as a lecture if preferred.
Take a look at the preview to see the entire resource!
I recommend printing out Sunken Ship cards 4 to a page and setting up the activity with a "sunken ship" in your classroom to better engage students.
Follow my blog (www.alessonplanforteachers.blogspot.com) for advice on transforming your classroom!
And then, follow up with this informative center's activity where students can travel from location to location to learn about the Columbian Exchange Trade Route:
Columbian Exchange Trade Route Activity
Need additional resources for your Exploration Unit?
Need additional resources for your Exploration Unit? This resource and all of the following resources are included in the Age of Exploration Complete 15 Day Unit:
• Age of Exploration Unit Plan with Bellringers, Daily Activities, and Exit Prompts (PREVIEW)
• Age of Exploration Introduction & Sunken Ship Activity
• Walking Tour of the Age of Exploration World Activity
• Explorers Internet Reliability Research Activity
• Age of Exploration Famous Explorers Newscasts Research Activity
• Columbian Exchange Trade Route Activity
• Christopher Columbus' Journal Primary Source Analysis Activity
• Age of Exploration Document Based Question (DBQ) Activity
• Age of Exploration Illustrated Timeline Activity
• Age of Exploration Study Guide and Unit Test w/ Answer Key
See my TpT Store for other great Social Studies activities!