High Quality Photo of the Biology and Process of Hay Agriculture
PowerPoint and PDF files - 34 Slides
Concepts for Grade 6 to 10 Science
- An illustration of life science, chemistry and engineering in everyday life.
- Hay is a mixture of grasses and legumes that provide a balanced diet of carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins and minerals for livestock.
- Livestock are animals with specialized stomachs that can digest plant material like hay to obtain nutrients.
- A properly cultivated hay field is a sustainable annual crop.
- Reducing the water content while harvesting hay is a critical factor in slowing decomposition from mold fungus and allowing for safe storage.
- A hay field is a solar collector for plant photosynthesis. Photosynthesis is the plant process that combines carbon dioxide and water to make carbohydrate sugars and oxygen.
- Symbiotic bacteria in the root nodules of legumes recycle nitrogen from the air and fertilize the soil. Nitrogen is a necessary element for plants to build protein.
- Important factors for hay farming are plant types, soil chemistry, water, weather, machinery, human labor, nutritional requirements, transportation and economics.
- Hay is a critical crop for the world’s food supply.