This engaging standard-based project requires students to design a newspaper using Microsoft Publisher (or google drive) with student-created articles on tobacco, alcohol, and illegal drugs. In addition to including all the detailed content requirements, students will include the perspective of other individuals such as a coroner, drug rehab counselor, and person dying from a tobacco related disease. Students will include the following in their newspapers:
1. Article related to tobacco (harmful effects of tobacco on an unborn child)
2. Article related to alcohol (binge drinking, alcohol poisoning)
3. Article related to illegal drugs (short and long term effects, influences on drug use)
4. An advice column (ways to quit smoking)
5. Editorial (long term effects of tobacco use, addictive nature of nicotine, ingredients in tobacco)
6. Editorial cartoon against tobacco use
7. Editorial cartoon against alcohol abuse
8. Editorial cartoon against illegal drug use
Extra credit options include:
9. The Slammer
11. Wanted Ad
12. And more..
This product includes:
1. Above the Influence Project Guidelines: student directions and requirements for each part of the newspaper
2. Above the Influence Rubric and grading scale
3. Student self-assessment and comments
4. Teacher assessment
Students will love creating and designing their newspaper. Allow 2-3 days for students to research and complete the project requirements. This project could also be used as an end of unit formative assessment.
For more Health Education ideas, visit my TPT store: Health Education and Sports Medicine Resources.