On this activity sheet students
• Use the graph of a line with two indicated points to collect data on the names of the points, the rise, the run.
• Then students use the rise and run to describe the slope of the line. Students are reminded that their slope should indicate the sign of the slope.
• Finally students are asked to study the coordinates to notice how they can use the coordinates to calculate the rise and run.
• This should lead the students to their own discovery of the slope formula.
The visual approach helps students make sense of slope because they can visually see the slope on the grid.
Comments from buyers:
- I tried this activity for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Discovery lessons are a part of my teaching for each lesson. So I let the students know this was one that I had never used before. At the conclusion of the activity, they were able to make a lot of connections on their own and come up with the formula. They also commented that it was one of the best discovery activities we've done so far.
- Love the multi content activity
- Excellent. Very helpful!!
- Quick and effective practice! Thanks!