I am so happy to offer the following power point covering Rational Equations inclusive of Work, Mixture, and Coin problems!
* Students begin by defining a Rational Equation
* Students discuss reasons for checking their work and exactly why it is necessary to do so.
* Students discuss when solutions are considered to be excluded
* Students progress to the first of two methods used to solve for Rational Equations, cross-multiplication. They learn when to use this method and when not to.
* Students learn a second method used in solving for Rational Equations, multiplying by the LCD; they learn why this method is particularly valuable to know and understand.
* Students learn 6 steps to follow when solving Rational Equations when using the LCD method.
* It is pointed out to students that it is sometimes necessary to factor denominators prior to multiplying by the LCD
* Students learn to do WORK problems
* Students learn to do MIXTURE problems
* Students learn to do COIN problems
* There is a huge amount of information contained in this lesson, all based on their understanding of previous lessons and centered around the Rational Equation concept..
* Students solve a real-life WORK problem about two friends who are hired to paint a room. They calculate how long it takes to complete the job with the two of them working together.
* Ample opportunity is provided in the lesson for students to apply what they are learning with multiple examples and practice problems.
* I am confident that students will find the lesson both informative and enjoyable, while teachers should find it to be practical and easily adapted to their own curriculum.
* Included in the lesson is a five-question "Follow-up Assessment" to reveal student comprehension of the presented material.
* Answers for all problems and examples are provided..
* Also included is a set of 16 GUIDED NOTES to encourage active participation among students as the lesson is presented; the guided notes benefit students in preparation for homework assignments, quizzes, tests, and final exams as well.
* This lesson is aligned with CC Standards.
* Please enjoy!
* Thank you, kindly!