We begin a new mathematical focus by applying our Real Number background that provides a basis for the next step in the study of INEQUALITIES and inequality graphing.
* Students begin this endeavor with exposure to Properties of Inequalities
* Addition Property of Inequality and Subtraction Property of Inequality.
* They proceed by using these properties to solve for an Inequality with addition and subtraction and describe their solutions by writing verbal phrases.
* They ultimately write and Graph Inequalities in one variable on their own, and apply this ability to real-life situations involving distances in space from Sirius to Earth and Orion to Earth.
* These concepts and subsequent abilities are supported in Common Core requirements.
* Each part of the lesson is demonstrated and then opportunity is provided for the student to solve and graph independently.
* The lesson concludes with a "Follow-up Assessment" of five questions; answers are provided for student/teacher convenience.
LOVE to teach! .