– a key stepping stone toward a complete understanding of algebra. This product is the fourth of four products that explore the wonderful world of algebraic expressions. The first product, Express Yourself - Part 1: Evaluating Expressions
, focused on what algebraic expressions are, why we use them, how they are different from numerical expressions and algebraic equations, and how to evaluate expressions of varying levels of complexity when given values for the variables. The second product, Express Yourself - Part 2: Writing Expressions
, took the students one step further by switching the focus to how to write and use algebraic expressions from word phrases and then for word problems. The third product, Express Yourself - Part 3: Simplifying Expressions
, focused on simplifying expressions, particularly through use of the Distributive Property and Combining Like Terms. This fourth product, Express Yourself – Part 4: Review and Unit Test
is a comprehensive review and unit assessment for the concepts learned and taught in the first three. The four products have now also been bundled into Express Yourself - The Complete Unit, which includes all four products at a discounted price
This product, Express Yourself - Part 4: Review and Unit Test
, contains the following components:
1. Algebraic Expressions Unit Review
: This three-page review sheet reviews the concepts learned in the other three products. Concepts covered in the review sheet include:
- Understanding expression terminology – are students able to identify the coefficients, constants, variables, operations, terms, and like terms in an expression?
- Evaluating expressions using substitution – can students substitute values for different variables into expressions and then evaluate the expressions to obtain a result?
Distinguishing between various number properties – are students able to distinguish between the Associative, Commutative, Identity, and Distributive Properties, which are all critical in working with expressions?
- Simplifying expressions by applying the Distributive Property and combining like terms – can students correctly use the Distributive Property in a variety of expressions, and then also combine like terms to simplify expressions that require multiple steps to simplify?
- Equivalent expressions – can students simplify multiple expressions and then properly identify which are equivalent?
- Writing expressions from word phrases and for word problems: are students able to identify the correct terms and put them in the correct order with the correct operations to write expressions when they are given word phrases and word problems? This will be a critical skill as they delve deeper into Algebra.
2. Algebraic Expressions Unit Test
: Similar to the Unit Review. Topics covered are identical. Problems are of the same level of difficulty as the Unit Review.
Implementation of both the review and the test are self-explanatory. Detailed keys are provided for both. Note that the review can alternatively be used a pre-test!
Good luck in your use of Express Yourself – Part 4: Review and Unit Test!
As mentioned above, this product is ideally used immediately after using Express Yourself - Part 1: Evaluating Expressions
, Express Yourself - Part 2: Writing Expressions
and Express Yourself - Part 3: Simplifying Expressions
If your students are not familiar with how to execute operations in the correct order, you may want to go through part or all of Order of Operations Inundation
to address numerical expressions and PEMDAS prior to tackling algebraic expressions.
If you would like your students to move from algebraic expressions
to algebraic equations
, take a look at Equations With Ned
, a brand new unit that introduces students to one-step equations in an unique and exciting way, and Equation Terminology Puzzles
, which introduces students to the language associated with algebraic equations.
Feel free to also check out a growing number of other products that use poetry, songs, games, worksheets, and assessments to make math fun and help students to learn a variety of common core math standards.
Click here to view Algebraic Equation Products
Click here to view Divisibility Rule Products
Click here to view Elementary to Middle School Transition Products
Click here to view Fraction Products
Click here to view Geometry Products
Click here to view Integer and Order of Operations Products
Click here to view Probability Products
Click here to view Ratio-Rate-Proportion Products
Click here to view Riddle Card Products that Help Retain Math Essentials
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback on a purchased product, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.