This is a delightful early chapter book that encourages reluctant/struggling readers to read longer text. The comprehension journal supports understanding with each chapter, as well as analyzes and compares character traits. Question words are in bold print for each question to help focus early readers on what is being asked.
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- What do you know about...
-3-5 specific comprehension questions per chapter
After Reading Activities:
- Character analysis
- Compare and contrast characters
- Cause and effect
- Friendly letter writing - letter to author
- Story retelling graphic organizer
- Reader's response writing prompt - text to self
- Book rating pages
- Author's purpose
- Blank vocabulary cards