Introduce feathers as a unique characteristic for a bird. Why do bird preen their feathers? Use a piece of velcro to model this for students!
Introduce the different kinds of feet that help birds survive. Model bird feet with a pencil and then create a spinner featuring six of the most common types of bird feet.
Create a booklet that features the major organs in each system in the body in a bird. Compare the body systems of a bird to the systems in a human.
Don't be mislead by the word primary in the title. This unit, with its multiple reading levels for student essays could easily be a resource to teachers in upper elementary grades
Why buy this unit?
• Fun activities motivate students to learn about birds;
• Simple materials make it easy to present active lessons;
• Multiple presentations help you introduce the information;
• Essays saved at different reading levels support all your students;
• Recordings of the essays are included for students who benefit from hearing the text;
• All text a student would read is saved in English and in Spanish;
• A word wall with common terms and definitions;
• A variety of assessments are suggested to evaluate student learning;
• A video gives you an overview of the activities;
• A web page suggested in the teacher backgrounds provides you with a link to more resources and information about this amazing group of animals.
Would you like to introduce your students to the unique characteristics of animals using activities like the ones found in this unit? Consider these products in our store: FROGS, BIRDS, ARTHROPODS, WHALES, and CATS.
Thanks for visiting my Simply Science store. Please take a moment to leave a comment when you purchase a product.
– • – ♥ – • –
Differentiate for your math students with simple, fun games in our Simply Math store.
– • – ♥ – ♥ – ♥ – • –
Click on the ★ next to the name of my store to follow me and find out about sales and new products.
– • – • – ♥ – ♥ – ♥ – • – • –
Visit my blog to find resources for new teachers and "I'd like to teach more science" teachers!
RESOURCES IN OUR STORE FOR BIRDS
• Resources for Teaching about Birds - writing, word wall, games, puzzles, math, a drawing activity, parent letters
• An Introduction to Birds - science, math, language, movement
• All About Birds - feet, feathers, anatomy
• More About Birds - habitat, life cycle, food chain
• Life Cycle Mobile for a Bird - FREE