Engage children creatively during their first week back to school with this 'All About Me' Instagram style, ‘tech-art' cell phone getting to know you, art and writing activity.
Teachers can get to know more about their new students in an imaginative, fun way and the class can learn more about themselves and their peers. Ideal for use as an icebreaker activity or as an art specific lesson.
This modern, relevant activity invites students to cut out and make their own fold out booklet style 'art-phone', and then to complete the image making on the front cover and the written elements inside.
1. The front cover of the activity:
Invite students to respond to and illustrate the 9 questions or prompts, with thumbnail doodles or drawings:
• My family
• Best food
• Favorite animal
• Favorite color
• Best subject
• Dream destination
• I love...
• I don't like....
2. The fold out inside pages:
’Let's Chat', is designed in a text message style, and asks more investigative questions:
• How will you achieve your goals?
• What support do you need?
• What do you like most about school?
• What do you like least about school?
’More About Me’, prompts the following:
• My top 3 goals
• 5 fascinating facts about me
• People like me because
• Open ended questions to complete, I aim to… I wonder if…I imagine that…. I feel….
Please note this activity includes 2 sizes of art-phone templates to choose from:
1. smartphone size 3.7x7.3 inches
2. tablet size 5 x 10 inches
Students can also opt to do the one dimensional cover or the full fold out option with written responses
Templates with UK/CAN/NZ/AUS spellings for 'favourite and colour" templates are also included in the pack
Only basic materials are needed:
• Heavyweight paper / card stock for printing
• Scissors and glue stick
• Pens/pencils/colored markers for the artwork and written work
• These templates are designed to print on US letter/A4 size paper
Considerations and how to use this activity:
• Encourage students to move beyond words, and 'draw their answers'
• Consider the space around the images they draw
• How do the 9 images look collectively?
• Is there an emerging theme or style or color?
• What colors do we associate with words?
eg carrot: orange and green
• How do students feel about the first week back to school?
• It’s OK to express dislikes as well as likes, our fears along with our hopes
The photographed example uses a black ball point pen and marker pens
The completed art-phones slip comfortably into a back pocket for play.
They will work well pegged up collectively as a classroom garland or can decorate a wall, door or bulletin board.
Also included in the packet:
1. Mobile phone shaped All About Us garland making activities to decorate the classroom
2. Abstract mobile phone coloring activity, exploring warm and cool colors - great for early finishers.
You might like to view my collection of creative Back to School resources or click on the resource links below:
You might also like to check out my Back to School and Seasonal Art Bundles!
Connect with me - Diane @ The ImaginationBox
All original artwork ©The ImaginationBox/Diane Pagan 2018
You can follow me by clicking at top of my store page if you would like to receive updates on new art resources and details of my forthcoming sales.
Don’t forget to leave feedback on resources - you will earn points towards your next TPT purchases :-)
Please contact me if you have any questions regarding this resource, I am always keen to help,