All About Me: Culture and Diversity: Kindergarten Social Studies: Who am I?
What educators are saying
Who am I? is an "All About Me" product from a cultural perspective. Students explore "Who am I?" through the lens of culture and diversity. Celebrate your personal identity. Cards may be used as spring boards for classroom or small group discussions. They may also be used at centers where students think and draw themselves in relation to the card's exploration. For example, regarding the card set on physical characteristics, students could review the card set and draw how they see themselves (using provided graphic organizers/response pages). This project is for teaching curriculum and fostering discussions on personal identity from a cultural perspective. Inclusion of First Nations/Indigenous content.
Use teaching cards to direct discussions on:
- physical characteristics
- culture and food
- family differences
- likes and dislikes
This resource was created to address the content curriculum for Social Studies in BC: Kindergarten. It could also be used in a K/1 classrooms. Students respond to learning with drawings and minimal printing. Final project included.
Contents by Page
Where Do People Live? pgs 4-11
People and Physical Characteristics pgs 12-21
- 8 cards (physical characteristics: hair/skin/eyes colour; freckles, short, tall, slim, stocky)
- full page graphic organizer (draw)
- mini-booklet (4 pages)
People, Culture, and Foods We Eat pgs 22-34
- 10 cards (bannock, samosa, dumplings, pancake, foods around the world)
- full page graphic organizers (draw and trace)
- mini-booklets pgs. 30-34
People and Language pgs 35-38
- 2 cards
- 2 full page graphic organizers (ey swayel, bonjour, ni hao, hi, hello, sata sri akala)
People and Clothing/Holidays/Celebrations/Traditions pgs 34-54
- 10 cards (on the various topics)
- 2 full page graphic organizers (jingle dress)
- mini-booklet pgs. 47-53 (people wear clothes for different weather, celebrations, occasions)
Culture, Changes and Family Differences pgs 55-62
- 10 cards (families past, mom and dad families, mom(s) families, dad(s) families, variety of different families including foster parents, grandparents, adopted, mixed culture)
- graphic organizer (draw)
People Have Likes and Dislikes pgs 63-74
- 12 cards (music, crafts, sports, visual arts, dance, drama, variety of activities in daily life)
- 5 graphic organizers
pgs 75-77 additional graphic organizers for student created book
pg 78 Questions for further discussion
Pages American Spellings pgs 81-93
Students will create a "Who Am I" book about who they are with the help of parents or guardian. Letter home to parent included. Students will share in pairs, small groups or with the whole class.
Have fun learning!
"Ways in which individuals and families differ and are the same"
Similarities and Differences:
• physical characteristics
• cultural characteristics
• other characteristics
• different types of families
• comparison of families in the past
Key Questions: What is the definition of a family? An Individual?
Personal and Family History and Traditions
• family stories, immigration to Canada, oral histories and memories
• traditions and celebrations
• special cultural holidays
• first People’s celebrations
Key Questions for Discussion:
What types of stories get passed down from generation to generation?
Why do people find traditions and celebrations important?
- Acknowledge different perspectives concerning people, places, issues or events in their lives (perspective).
- Share booklets on topic: "Who Am I?" with class or partner.
- Why do people have different viewpoints about same events
If you like this product you may also love these Kindergarten products aligning with BC's NEW Curriculum: ❤️
Additional Social Studies Products
⭐Social Studies Kindergarten: Full Program
⭐Coast Salish People: Poem featuring Fall Season of Seasonal Rounds
⭐ABC's Summer Theme: Letter Learning & Activities
⭐ABC's Fall Theme: Letter Learning & Activities
⭐Consonant Sounds Mini-Booklets
⭐Short Vowel Sounds: Mini-Booklets
Mini-Booklets/Differentiated Learning/Story Board & Build a Sentence PLUS Activities
⭐Level 1/Level A Reader "I Have" : Toy Theme
⭐Level 1/Level A Reader "This is a" Popsicle Animal Theme
⭐Level 1/Level 1 Reader "I Like" Picnic Theme
Read and Draw
⭐Reading Fluency/Comprehension: "I See" Stories
Sight Word Products available:
⭐Fry's First 100 Words: Cell Phone Decoding
⭐Teacher Organization: Assessment and Recording Keeping
Sight Words in Sentence/"Story" Reading Context: PLUS Games for Centers: K/1
⭐I Can Read Sentences: "Leaping Lizards"
⭐I Can Read Sentences: "Jumping Kangaroos"
⭐Non-Standard Measurements: Baselines used for Comparisons
⭐All About Me Back to School - graphic organizers & activity pages designed for the grade 2 classroom
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Thank-you for your purchase! If you wish to leave feedback, I appreciate it.
I love designing, creating, building, educating!
Copyright © Teaching with Bonnie
For single classroom use only. Distributing in part or whole on the internet or by copying, selling and editing without direct permission violates and disregards the widely accepted codes of professional ethics.
Thank you for abiding by the widely accepted codes of professional ethics
while using this product.
➯ Be sure to follow my store to be alerted of new products. >>Click Here
➯ Don't forget to leave feedback. You will receive TPT credits that can be used on future purchases!
Teaching with Bonnie