Do you want to get your students thinking about their future career interests? Do you want to help them make some preliminary plans for the future? If so, then the Humanities Hub All About Me & My Future: Career Project is perfect for you and your class. The purpose of this step-by-step project is to have students research potential career pathways according to their interests. The finished product is a booklet sharing the information they discovered.
Here's how it works:
1. Students begin by using a career planning website cited in the project. On the site, they take a self-assessment quiz to determine career suggestions, based on personality characteristics.
2. From here, they research 2-3 of the suggested careers using research questions (included with this project).
3. Then, they narrow down their research to a single career of interest.
4. From here, they research the education or training needed to be prepared for the career.
5. After this, they narrow down a single institution of education or training associated with their career choice and do in-depth research with the provided questions.
6. Then, they interview 2 adults and gather advice for helping the student to prepare for his or her future.
7. Finally, students complete a self reflection and gather together all researched information to create a booklet to showcase their findings.
This is a fun project and our 8th graders always enjoy it. The website self-assessment quiz provides students with a variety of careers and trades, and some students choose careers requiring years of university work, while others are more attracted to trades requiring technical training.
There is no rubric included with this project.
We hope you enjoy this project!