Also included in
- Hoping to take the stress out of teaching All American Boys to your class? Want to dive deeply into Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely's poignant novel, but just can't stomach spending the hours it takes to put together the questions, quizzes, and worksheets necessary? This All American Boys bundle ta$28.75$35.94Save $7.19
- Teach the Black Lives Matter movement, engage students in social justice issues, and encourage collaboration through lit circles with this Black Lives Matter & Social Justice Lit Circle Bundle--online or in person! This literature circle includes material for teaching The Hate U Give by Angie Th$93.82$117.27Save $23.45
All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely is a novel that will make your students want to talk! Engage students in conversations about privilege, heroes, expectations, and more with this discussion activity--
Students examine five thematic topics through this discussion: privilege, speaking out, "All American", expectations, and heroes. Students will need to gather textual evidence to support their ideas on these thematic topics prior to the discussion activity.
This resource is incredibly flexible. Inside, you'll receive directions for using this as a large assessment, review activity, or even essay brainstorm. You'll also receive directions for using this in person as well as virtually.
Students will need to gather evidence first. In-person classes can do this by annotating the novel or taking notes. Then, in-person students can use the included worksheet to gather their best passages, examples, and ideas. Virtual students can use the included evidence tracker.
- EDITABLE Assignment Handout
- EDITABLE Discussion Rubric
- PDF Version
- Google Doc version
- Google Sheets version (for easy importing into Google Classroom)
- Directions PDF for importing a Google Sheets rubric into Google Classroom
- EDITABLE Textual Evidence Tracker Google Doc for distance learning
- NON-EDITABLE Worksheet for in-person learning
- Product/Resource overview
Please review the preview before purchase. This preview includes the assignment, the non-editable student worksheet, and the rubric. Only the components specifically marked as "editable" can be altered. All products are delivered in a Google Drive folder.
Get the BUNDLE or check out:
- All American Boys Introductory Activity
- All American Boys Introductory Slideshow
- All American Boys Reading Comprehension Questions
- All American BoysQuizzes
- All American Boys Reading Journal and Workbook
- FREE All American Boys Bookmarks
***This resource consists of PDF files, Google Docs, and Google Sheets documents within a Google Drive folder. You will need to give TPT access to your Google account to access these materials. Please note that not every component of this resource is editable. Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure this resource supports your and your students' needs.